Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I like it



I bought this a few weeks ago and I wanted to let everyone know what I thought after trying out some of the recipes and techniques.

I am very familiar with pureeing food, as I made my own baby food for both girls. Not that I have anything against jarred foods (I did use them occasionally when out or traveling) but I actually enjoyed making baby food. I spent Sunday afternoons every other week steaming, roasting and pureeing vegetables, fruits and meats for my girls. When they were older I fed them our meals and just used a grinder. I found this to be very simple.

So I would start this by saying if you have never done this, its really not all that hard. It does take some effort and time to make the purees but once you have them frozen it becomes very convenient and worth the effort and time.

The recipes in this book are super easy and very smart. I would have never thought of some of the combinations so I am loving this. I make chicken nuggets and keep them frozen because well, we eat them a lot. Now I use the recipe in this book and I have added the broccoli, spinach and sweet potato puree (at different times). We seriously cannot taste the difference. One thing though I bake my chicken nuggets, her recipe is frying them.

We have also added cauliflower to scrambled eggs, beets to pancakes (makes them pink), spinach to eggs (makes "green eggs"), cauliflower to mashed potatoes, spinach to pizza, I could go on.

Let's just say I have found this book to be really very good and useful. I tell my children what veggies or fruits I have "hidden" but not until after they tried the food and have loved everything I have made so far.

I kind of feel like I am back making baby foods again, which again, I like, not everyone does. But even if you don't make the purees ahead of time she has tips for making some when you are cooking as well.

I definitely reccomend this book for any mom who may have a picky eater. E has never been, she prefers veggies and fruits to sweets. But L is the opposite. I NEED to get more fruits and veggies into her.

I am aware of the controversy around this book but I don't pay attention to that stuff. I use my own judgement and if something interests me, I will try it. I think its a great idea to make food that your children already love, healthier. Not that I will stop making other things because I like them to try new things as well.

So all in all I have found this to be very useful. I also use the book 365 Foods Kids Love to Eat and have for a long time.

Hope this was helpful if anyone was wondering about this book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mother got me this book two weeks ago for my birthday. I just love it. It answers all my prayers on how to get my little man to eat better. So far the recipies we tested on him have worked.

I'm even going to take the spinach brownies to a playdate next week! We'll see how that goes.

Suburban prep said...

My sister bought this book. She is trying it out on her two boys ( 2 1/2 and 20 months). the younger of the two is the pickiest eater. The older of the two hates the noise from the food chopper though so it is a struggle everyday when she is making their food.

Mrs. LSL said...

I am so happy to hear that someone is enjoying the book. It's a great idea (whether or not it's hers don't know don't care either) and hey, I don't have any children, but I'm a pretty picky eater who loves sweets so maybe I could use the book too! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I don't think you need kids to enjoy the benefits. My Mom has been using the recipes on my Dad too :)

The Mrs. said...

I was dying to know about this!!! I have to get this book. I love the concept although I am new to puree-ing!
Thanks for the post!

Beth said...

I just posted about this book not long ago. I got it for x-mas and I love it! Feeding my son is a challenge but I hope this makes it easier!