Monday, January 28, 2008

E's Birthday Party!



We had a super time at E's 9th birthday American Girl Spa Party. We had invited only a few girls (6) but one couldn't make it and another girl (her best friend!) got really sick that day so she had to cancel as well. But it actually worked out so well because we were able to take our time and relax.

When the girls arrived, we served them smoothies in a "fancy" glass, which they all got a big kick out of. I put on relaxing instrumental music and lit candles to set the mood.

First we did the craft which was making (decorating) flip flops and after they were made the girls changed into bathrobes and flip flops. They just put the robes over their clothes. (I got the bathrobes from Lillian Vernan Kids).

We then served healthy snacks (turkey wraps, veggie roll-ups, veggies and dip, pita chips, fruit salad.

After that we started the "Beauty Buffet". I had stations set up throughout the pool house for mani-pedis, facials, and doll hair do's. The biggest hit was the mani-pedis during which they got a foot massage and the second biggest hit was after they applied their oatmeal-yogurt mask they got to lay down with cucumbers on their eyes. For some reason they thought that was just the greatest!

After they were all pampered we took pictures with them and their dolls (who had their hair done)!

We then served cupcakes and ice cream as well as more fruit salad. Then E opened her gifts. We had a bit of extra time so we hung out listening to Hannah Montana and we played charades.

Everyone really had such a great time, especially E. Even though this party was a bit labor intensive for a kids party, it was so worth it. It was actually even the least I had ever spent on a birthday party because almost everything came in the package from American Girl (which I bought on clearance)! I had my manicurist come to do the girls nails but she did it at a very reasonable rate and I ended up cancelling the hairstylist because E didn't want to have her (and her guests) hair done, just the dolls. So my mom was doll hair stylist for the day!

It was just so much fun and Mr.C was such a good sport, he even helped with the facials, made the smoothies and took pictures.

This weekend coming up we are having the combination E&L party with family and some friends. I was planning on a tea party but everyone is hinting that a tea party on Superbowl Sunday just isn't so great. I might just scrap the tea sandwiches and do snacks and still have tea and then cupcakes.

Plus most people will be going to a big superbowl party with tons of food so snacks in the afternoon would be enough. I still want to have tea-related snacks though. I was thinking scones, cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries. I want something savory too not just sweet. Should I just do cheese and crackers? Any suggestions?

Hope everyone had a great weekend! We also went to a big Christmas Tree bonfire where we took some neat pictures. I'll post some soon.

10 comments:

PaperCourt said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cute party.

Just a thought - maybe you should switch themes for the girls' party and do a cheerleading theme. It's girly and it goes with the Superbowl - might make syncing the two events a bit easier.

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I bet in your household this one will go down in the books as one of her all time faves. Everything looks like it was so much fun!

Hemstitch & Hydrangea said...

This party is darling! I will totally remember this for my friends with girls - how did you make/ post that great photo collage?

What about quiche- ? Ham and Cheese? Little ones or one big one- you can make or buy it and its warm and savory with the fruit, etc?

Or baquette with brie and fruit chutney.

Connecticut Charm said...

Thanks, it was a lot of fun!

Impoverished Preppy - I like the cheerleading idea, will discuss that with E when she gets home from school. I'm sure my husband will ask if I would wear my old uniform - Ha Ha!

Hemstitch & Hydrangea - I made the collage with Picasa by Google. Thanks for the food ideas, I think I might make the quiche, little ones will go with the tea theme and I have a good recipe for some.

Thanks!

Serah said...

What a fun party! I have a soft spot in my heart for American Girls dolls. My grandmother got the first catalog, back when it was called "Pleasant Company," and got me the Samantha doll for Christmas. Now between myself and my sisters, we have almost all of them. I just wish I had taken mine with me because they aren't in the best shape now. Oh well!

Have fun with the party this weekend!

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

How cute is that!!! I now want an American Girl Spa Party, for the big girls, right! :)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What a fantastic party! I would love that for my 30th even!! And I still have my American Girl Kirsten doll in a box somewhere. She will remember this birthday forever!

Melissa said...

Great party! I remember doing the mani/pedi and face mask thing at sleep over parties when I was around your daughter's age! She is so lucky to have such an awesome mom! :)

Kate said...

How cute! We have talked about going into the city & doing one of the American Girl parties at the store - but haven't decided if C. is too young. (She will be turning 4)

Either way - it sounds like you had a wonderful party! Have fun w/ the party this weekend! What about a pissaladiere or two?

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pissaladiere?autonomy_kw=pissaladiere&rsc=header_4